And when white moths were on the wing

The best thing about good movies are that no matter how many times you watch them there's always something new that you had not noticed the previous times. It's like peeling an onion only much more pleasant.
This time it's The Bridges of Madison County : Robert and Francesca discuss Yates and a while later Francesca goes and pastes a note on the side of the bridge, I could never read what was written on the note because it fades away to quickly. This time I paused to read it, it had a quote from The Song of Wandering Aengus.
Aengus is an Irish Mythic character and "probably a god of love, youth and poetic inspiration" and Robert Kincaid is of Irish descent. I think there was a connection made with that poetry and the story of Kincaid. He is an old man and finally found the woman he has dreamt of all his life, tired of all the wandering a being a "citizen of the world" he wants to settle down with this woman but he can't have her.
It's a beautiful movie and Yeate's poetry is wonderful as well. The movie is full of beautiful dialogues and descriptions, watch if you haven't already.

I went to the hazel wood,
Because a fire was in my head,
And cut and peeled a hazel wand,
And hooked a berry to a thread;
And when white moths were on the wing,
And moth-like stars were flickering out,
I dropped the berry in a stream
And caught a little silver trout.

When I had laid it on the floor
I went to blow the fire aflame,
But something rustled on the floor,
And some one called me by my name:
It had become a glimmering girl
With apple blossom in her hair
Who called me by my name and ran
And faded through the brightening air.

Though I am old with wandering
Through hollow lands and hilly lands,
I will find out where she has gone,
And kiss her lips and take her hands;
And walk among long dappled grass,
And pluck till time and times are done
The silver apples of the moon,
The golden apples of the sun.
Francesca: I was acting like another woman yet I was more myself than ever before.
Robert: This kind of certainty comes, but just once in a lifetime.

Comments

Kuntala said…
Hi Raka,

ami cinemata dekhini, boita poRechhi. cinemata dekhar ichhe roilo.
Deepanjana said…
Yes the book is wonderful... I cried so much while reading the book. The good thing is the movie follows the book to the tee
Dreamer said…
I've heard so much about both the book and the movie, but never got around to reading it or watching the movie :(

Popular posts from this blog

Benimadhab Benimadhab

Dhobi ka Kutta!