Benimadhab Benimadhab

Never in my worst nightmares have I ever imagined writing anything titled "Benimadhab Benimadhab". Bengalis who listen to modern bengali music must have already guessed what this could be about but I have a story to share.
Didibhai used to listen to a lot of music, especially the radio back in the late 1990s. So naturally I had to listen to a lot of music she liked. She was the one to introduce me to all kinds of music that I associate my memories with.
I never quite liked the bengali songs she would listen to. Anjan Dutta and Suman and Nachiketa, the cult music of the time. I was too young to appreciate it, I never understood what they were singing about. Today I can appreciate them even if they aren't my preferred choice of music and I believe not my didibhai's either.
It has been more than a decade since Lopamudra's famous song Benimadhab aired for the first time on FM. Didibhai bought the cassette but I failed to understand why such a funny old-fashioned name has to be in the song. I never even tried to listen, to a 10 yr old the song was elusive, I would fall apart laughing every time I heard the word Benimadhab... and I would sing along: "Benimadhab Benimadhab amar beni bandho.."
Today while checking my Twitter updates I came across a link posted by Shubha Mudgal for the article she wrote in Mint. She wrote about Lopamudra's singing (I always thought she had a beautiful voice, even if I didnt like her songs) and that when she sang Benimadhab to a largely non-bengali audience and got a standing ovation at a concert! (She performed at Baajaa Gaaja 2010- music expo in Pune organized my Shubha Mudgal)
I started scouring the internet for some of her more recent work and came across a Folk song album Chhata Dhoro (another song I was familiar with as a kid- coz didibhai sang it at some competition).
Lopamudra's voice sparkled, it felt like she was singing softly for my ears only. Powerful, mellifluous and as expressive as one can be.
I looked for her live performaces on Youtube and found one of her singing Benimadhab, I played it and listened with intent, I choked up and before I knew it I had tears rolling down. What poetry and what a voice. I like Joy Gowami- I loved Jara Bristite Bhijechilo and the poetries in the movie Shob Choritro Kalponik, I like him a little more now.

Benimadhab, Benimadhab, tomar bari jabo
Benimadhab, tumi ki aar amar katha bhabo
Benimadhab, mohanbanshi tomal tarumule
Bajiyechile, aami takhon Maloti iskule
Deske bose anko kori, chotto classghar
Baire didimonir pashe didimonir bor
Ami takhon nabam shreni, ami takhon sari
Aalap holo, Benimadhab, Sulekhader bari.

Benimadhab, Benimadhab, lekhaparay bhalo
Sahar theke berate ele, aamar rang kalo
Tomay dekhe ek doure paliye gechi ghare
Benimadhab, aamar baba dokane kaaj kare
Kunje oli gunje tobu, futeche manjari
Sondhyebela porte bose anke bhul kari
Ami takhon nabam shreni, ami takhon sholo
Bridger dhare, Benimadhab, lukiye dekha holo.

Benimadhab, Benimadhab eto diner pare
Satti balo, sesab katha ekhono mone pare?
Sesab katha bolecho tumi tomar premikake?
Ami kebal ekti din tomar pashe take
Dekhechilam alor niche; apurbo se alo
Sweekar kari, dujankei maniyechilo bhalo
Juriye dilo chokh amar, puriye dilo chokh
Barite ese bolechilam, oder bhalo hok!

Rate ekhon ghumote jai ektolar ghare
Mejher upar bichana pata. jyotsna ese pare
Aamar pare je bon chilo, chorapather banke
Miliye geche, janina aaj kar sange thake
Aaj juteche, kaal ki habe? - kaler ghare sani
Ami ekhan ei paray selai didimoni
Tobu aagun,Benimadhab aagun jwale koi?
Kemon habe amio jadi nasto meye hoi?

Benimadhab Live by Lopamudra

Comments

Kuntala said…
bheeshoN sundor post Raka. tomar theke ektu aager somoy-e bNechechhi tai Swapan Basu-r gawa 'Chhata Dhoro' beshi kaane lege aachhe. Lopamudrao asadharoN.
Bong Mom said…
Thanks for reminding. Ami tomar DidiBhai er shomo samayik bodhoy, ei gaan ta khub bhalo lagto, bhule gechilam

Kuntala'r hoy elam
Unknown said…
just come across thru ur blog.ki shundar je likhechho ki bolbo....khub bhalo laglo...amio jokhon benimadhob shunechhilam tokhon onek mimic korechhilam..karon tokhon onek chhoto chhilam aar kichhui bujhini...kintu akhon shunlei gaye kanta day...aar lopamudrar gaan o khub bhalo lage akhon..
Joy Forever said…
Lopamudrar gaan amar daarun lage, ar Benimadhob nissondehe amar onyotamo priyo gaan. Khub bhalo laglo.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for posting lyrics. i have this song and i listen to it very often.I do not know much Bengali but this language attracts me a lot. I search for people who can teach Bengali but I cant find any one having enough time to teach me :-( , neways, tht's my luck! One request can somebody mail me or post english/ hindi translation of this song? my id meet_prags@yahoo.com.
Sourav's BLOG said…
Khub valo lage ei kobitata.. onek purano kotha mone pore jai.. dhonnobad..

Indian Sarees
Hello, I had witnessed the atmosphere being transformed to another realm at Baajaa Gaajaa about which Shubha Didi has written.. I follow a bit of the meaning.. But it would be very kind of you if you could give the meaning of the lyrics in English as well.. thx.. Pra
Abhijit said…
kadi-a dili j re ma!
ANNIE said…
Sotti.......Oshadharon.......Sotti purono kotha mone pore jae...
Sudeep Ghosh said…
liked your receptive voice

Popular posts from this blog

And when white moths were on the wing

Dhobi ka Kutta!