"Wake me up when September ends"

It has been raining since Saturday here, in Dresden. It's cold and shivery and very windy. Sitting by the window I can only think of one thing. The Dementors. The cold, grey and dismal atmosphere makes me think of dementors who have devoured the happiness out of the city. I am sure that J.K.Rowling 'conjured' up the character on one such dismal rainy period in London. It does get you rather depressed .
But then another thought flashed across my mind. On such a rainy day if I saw a girl in a Canary Yellow rain-coat wearing a bright pink lipstick walking down the sidewalk next to my house with a click-clack of her heels it would look rather cheery, wouldn't it? But no, people here wear only blacks and browns and beige and more blacks and hardly any lipstick.
When the Sahibs say that they found India extremely colourful I cannot agree more. People wear all sorts of colours in India, not just in the form of clothes but hoardings and buildings and cars. The Apartment building next to ours, in Calcutta is painted a royal blue with red borders. Now where else would you find a house looking like a 'naalambari saree'? I considered it quite ridiculous but on a day like today I would have loved to look at that house outside my window.
My favourite colours are Red and Purple, not necessarily in a combination. I would love to have a wall in my living room painted red, where I would put up framed black and white photos of the different cities I have been to, and then on these rainy spells I could just look at that wall and feel bright and sunny inside.
Of course the other thing one can do to make one's self feel better is to simply remember your favourite things, and if you do not have too many of those just listen to the song- "Raindrops on roses..."- even if you didn't know what crisp apple strudels were just the name will make you smile. When we went to Innsbruck, Austria nothing cheered me up as much as the sight of Apple Strudels at the bakeries because in a foreign land where everything was so new and 'foreign' I had found familiarity- something that had broken barriers and reached the homes of middle class Bengalis.
Of course, if the only song that buzzes in your head is 'Rainy days and Mondays always make me sad.." then there is only one thing that might help you, Xanax. Or you could wait and twiddle your thumbs till the clouds lift.
Don't you think, when the sun-rays find a crack in the grey clouds and rushes through to form a glittering pool on the wet streets- the infiltrated clouds look rather like the overcooked grey egg-yolks? Food for thought? No?
There is certainly one thing I envy in some people, their innate ability to look fashionable in extreme weather conditions. How one ends up looking absolutely ravishing on 3 feet snow or in body melting heat is beyond me- so cheers to them who wear yellow raincoats and knee length boots with 6 inch heels in flooding cities! Does a Burberry umbrella help?

Comments

ipsita said…
hello...aj anek din por tor blog porlam. khub bhalo laglo...
Kuntala said…
ore baba Raka, ami to khotkhote goromeo fashinable hote parina :(, tobe tomar lekhata khub i sundor ar fashionable hoyechhe. ar niil baRir golpotao. amader paRateo achhe ekta laal baRi :)
Deepanjana said…
@ ipi- thank you, kotha hobe
@kuntala- arre amio to ekdom parina fashionable hote, onek chesta kori tao fail! Tai lekhatai fashionable korbar chesta korlam. One of my friends said a polka doted umbrella will be quite cheerfully, maybe we can try that out for the next rains! for now it's sunny again in dresden and I am jumping with joy!

Popular posts from this blog

And when white moths were on the wing

Benimadhab Benimadhab

Dhobi ka Kutta!