If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!!

Often we have heard the above quotation by Mark Twain but seldom have we come across the subject of it... "Age is an issue of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
In july I turned 25 and since then I have been slightly abashed about it, my age, that is. I have always been at ease about growing older, in fact, I have always looked forward to it. Being the youngest in the family I have looked forward to being taken seriously so age has never been an issue but suddenly I see there are film-stars, artists and authors who are younger than I am. Asudden, my husband has colleagues who are '85 borns. This had me searching for Kajol's age when she made DDLJ- would you believe it, she was 21? 4 yrs younger than I am right now? OMG! I am ancient- is what is going through my mind- right now there is a particular Shia LaBeouf who is famous and younger- or younger and famous! whatever!.
After these particular nerve wracking thoughts I got on my crosstrainer and decided I had to lose some 10 kilos I had gained since graduation.
Everything comes down to body image, lastly! I started comparing my agility with my 15 yr old self and realized I am not as supple and flexible as I used to be. But as a 15 yr old I'd thought I'd be a wine-taster at Napa Valley- look at me now, I am a full-fledged wine drinker and I have nothing to complain about!
Right when I stop thinking about my 25 yr old self I am reminded of my 54 yr old mother. She wrote her GRE at 46/47 completed her PhD at 53 and now a principal at a renowned school in India. What the hell was I thinking?! Did I not mention she was a teacher for 15 yrs prior to that?
Till I reach my mother's level of conviction I shall continue to work the crosstrainer and the wines (I hope)
I shall leave you guys with this one "Life's tragedy is we get old to soon and wise too late" - benjamin franklin!



Comments

Unknown said…
After reading your post I just made a sigh....My birthday is heading in a few days. I will turn a year old more...now standing on the thirties i always keep on debating these issues what you have written today....this is really a tragedy of life but right now too frustraiting....
Kuntala said…
Raka, moner boyos, moner boyos. baki sotyi i kichhu matter kore na. ar sotyi kotha bolte ki, tomar kotha janina, amar chhotoboyos ta etoi bhule bhora, je buRo hoye ami hNaap chheRe bNechechhi.

tomar jodio buRo keno, boRo hoteo anek deri achhe :).....
Deepanjana said…
@ kamalika- this post was absolutely not meant for you to get depressed. It was meant to be slightly vain and funny! so cheer up- remember this one "thirty, flirty and thriving"

@ Kuntala- amar chotoboyos e porashona chara ar kichui temon bhul-bhal chilo na tobe onek beshi active, smart ar fearless chilam. Ekhon mone hoy jeno amio onno shobar moton hoye gechi. That's the only sad thing. But that has nothing to do with age, it's more about myself! arre abhi to main jawaan hoon. Tobe boro howar byapar tay agree korte parlam na- keu kintu boyesh dekhe boro hoy na ba buro o hoy na!
Dreamer said…
I understand. I was pretty much in a blue funk when turning 30, but now that I'm well into my 30s I realize it aint such a big deal after all. Sorry for the cliche but age is indeed just a number. Yes physically we may not be like our youthful selves, but ultimately it's our attitude that matters.
Unknown said…
you are absolutely correct. I really reminisce those days when we played inter-school matches with full energy and enthusiasm of winning...One has to accept the truth of life...no wonder everyone is suddenly appearing to be younger to us.

Popular posts from this blog

And when white moths were on the wing

Benimadhab Benimadhab

Dhobi ka Kutta!