OUR HEADPIECES FILLED WITH STRAW

Sitting here today in this bright spring afternoon, when there is a perfume in the air, the sun shines bright and the blowing wind announces the arrival of hope and joy... why do I think of the night and the dark deserted streets? I am reminded of Eliot... and a line springs to my mind
'Have known the evenings, mornings, afternoons;I have measured out my life with coffee spoons;'
Thank you, Devapriya for introducing me to Eliot, it sure was a turning point in my life.
LET us go then, you and I,
When the evening is spread out against the sky
Like a patient etherised upon a table;
Let us go, through certain half-deserted streets,
The muttering retreats
Of restless nights in one-night cheap hotels
And sawdust restaurants with oyster-shells:
Streets that follow like a tedious argument
Of insidious intent
To lead you to an overwhelming question …
Oh, do not ask, “What is it?”
Let us go and make our visit
...
For I have known them all already, known them all:—
Have known the evenings, mornings, afternoons,
I have measured out my life with coffee spoons;
I know the voices dying with a dying fall
Beneath the music from a farther room.
So how should I presume?
...
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
Till human voices wake us, and we drown.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And when white moths were on the wing

Benimadhab Benimadhab

Dhobi ka Kutta!