Reminiscing Calcutta and Egg Chicken Roll



Last weekend Anirban mentioned ad nauseum that he was going to make egg chicken rolls with the Chilli Tortilla wraps we picked up from one of the aisles at the grocery store. Fed up of his nagging I took upon the project as I was doubtful of his culinary dexterity.
While drawing up a plan in my head of how to go about making this dish as I hadn't in a really long time I triggered my memory of hoti kati roll on Park Street. The juicy chicken tikka pieces wrapped in crispy paranthas smothered with strange sauces and mustard melted in my mouth... mmmm... just the thought of it made me crazy hungry so late Sunday afternoon we went to the kitchen together arguing about what to and what not to put in the chicken... finally I did shut my husband up. But now he has started the nagging again!!! Think I have to make it this week too!

Here's the recipe!
Egg chicken roll - makes 4 wraps

Tortilla wraps or home made flour paranthas-4 (I used chili tortilla)
boneless chicken -400 gms (thigh pieces preferred)
Onion-1
tomato-1
eggs-5
flour/cornflour- 1.5 tsp
green chillies-2
ginger-garlic paste-1 tsp
breadcrumbs- 1 tbsp
Cumin powder-1tsp
whole cumin-1tsp
tandoori masala- 1 tsp
ketchup/mustard optional

Cut chicken into small cubes and mix with ginger-garlic paste, salt, chilli powder, cornflour, 1 egg and the breadcrumbs and tandoori masala. Once thoroughly mixed shallow fry them. Don't overcook them as this makes chicken dry and fibrous- it's important to keep them succulent and juicy.
When the chicken is fried transfer the excess oil and in the same pan add some whole cumins and let them splutter for a second before adding the onion. When they become translucent and slightly caramelized add the cumin powder, green chillies, tomato and some salt. Once the tomatoes are tender add the chicken and mix well. Put aside. Whisk the eggs together or separately and add some egg on the pan like making an omelette and put the tortilla wrap/parantha over it, cook till the egg is cooked and stuck on the paranthas. Flip and cook the other side. Remove and put the chicken on it in a single line- add some ketchup or mint yoghurt chutney, wrap it and secure with a toothpick.

Comments

ipsita said…
yummm!!!it's been ages since i have had an egg-chicken roll...im on a diet and so cant afford it...at most i have an egg /chicken roll(and feel horribly guilty afterwards!!)
Kuntala said…
I always was and still am a fuchka girl, but eggroll remains the quintessential 'duoraaNi' who obviously deserves more attention.

Good job Raka. I envy Anirban.
Deepanjana said…
After I didnt receive comments on this post for a long time I thought to myself... Are my readers Vegetarian?
Oh you don't know how your comments have returned my faith back into my readers..hehehe! If you dont want to cook/eat it... you can come look in my blog once in a while just to be reminded of home!

Popular posts from this blog

And when white moths were on the wing

Benimadhab Benimadhab

Dhobi ka Kutta!