There She goes Again

 For a while the weather hadn't been something to write home about, it had been dull and dismal, the cold, damp air doing nothing to one's mood. My booted feet squelched on the wet and muddy leaves gathering on the steps in front of the university building as I walked into my department to attend early morning classes, clinging onto my thermos of coffee, the only source of warmth. This had been going on for almost 3 weeks, the same bleakness in the air when a brief flurry of wind blew away the remaining weak, yellow leave still clinging on to dear life..
But today is what an Autumn day should be like in my mind, clear blue skies, sunshine, sparkling golden leaves and a nip in the air.
I have friends who adore rain, who are inspired and rejuvenated by it, but I believe that the damp and constant drizzle that go on for days would  fail to evoke any inspiration even in the most ardent of rain lovers. The monsoons and the torrential rains are very different kinds of rainfall, the kind that romances and trysts are made of.
I, on the other hand, am a sunshine lover. On balmy, hot days when a floating cloud provides respite from the scorching sun , the relief felt for those few moments is incomparable and without the sunshine I wouldn't have known that there's solace to be found in the shadows.
I love shadows that the sun casts, as a kid I would try to walk over my shadow, I had walked a little quicker hoping it would help me beat my shadow to wherever I was going.
On winter days blankets toasted under the sun can thaw the coldest of hearts.
Mornings that do not start with a blush against the horizon never feels like a new day with nothing separating the day from the night. A start of a new day has too much significance, metaphorical as well as literal, and when the heavy clouds darken the day I feel like I carry the previous day's onus.
A warm and sunny day makes reading a delight on cool grass, it makes wearing wide brimmed hats fun and loose flowing dresses fashionable whereas a cool and sunny day makes picnics and outdoor activities bearable.
As life imitates nature I have had a partly sunny with chances of thundershowers kind of a year, it's been mostly fun and some tight spots I have been able to wriggle out of, I am back in University, still paying off the installments for the not-so-new-anymore-kitchen and finally made loads of friends. 
Alot of travel/in-laws visit/adjusting to a new city/missing old city had kept me from assimilating all that was going on around me, finally the beginning of classes and a rigorous routine is actually starting to feel like it is having a normalizing effect, feels like what life should be, a little bit of order in the everyday chaos. 
I know winter's not faraway and I am gathering whatever sunny bits I can to keep warm and give me enough enthusiasm so I can wake up in darkness to attend 8 a.m. classes.
In the meanwhile, I hope you guys are enjoying the new seasons of Homeland and Downton Abbey and perhaps going a little nuts waiting for the new season of Sherlock, believe me when I say that I am ready to write a letter to Mark Gatiss asking him what's taking him so bloody long!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And when white moths were on the wing

Benimadhab Benimadhab

Dhobi ka Kutta!