Quaintrelle

The absolutely fascinating period of exams are on. This time at a foreign university (my first), making it slightly more mesmerising. People can rediscover themselves at a time like this, these times can bring with them a revelation. We come to know exactly how much the classes preceding these exams have been meaningful, how much the students paid attention and how effectively the teachers imparted their knowledge.
Just like there are two sides to a coin, this situation also has two sides to it, we (the students) think the teachers had been ineffective and they(the professors- they like to call themselves that ridiculously old fashioned way) believe we failed them by not working hard enough or  not being smart enough.
I have never been very academic, never been much of anything really, but more about that later... so the idea to get a second master's degree was to give myself some credibility and a kick start to a career I never had. But being back in school makes me question my decision. I like being busy, I like to get work done, I feel good after I have successfully completed a task but being a student is a role I could never embrace successfully- I always felt out of place, trying to follow, trying to conform and trying to run in a race.
Most of us never end up doing/being what we really enjoy like to do/be, I blame it mostly on the lack of courage.
The learning by osmosis is the knowledge that is retained, an  information delivered in an atmosphere of fun is willingly assimilated. Sometimes the Umgebung where information is shared matters more than the nature of the information.
I believe I was born to be, what Baudelaire called, a flaneur, the person immersed in life yet detached, the person of leisure, the urban explorer making unintentional contributions to psychogeography.
There probably comes a time in everyone's life when they ask themselves the deepest question of all- what the hell am I doing with my life?
I have asked myself this question a thousand times over, I haven't found an answer yet. May be, someday when I reach that place 'where the mind is without fear' I shall stroll the streets of the city, free and exuberant... what I should be doing with my life.

p.s. historically, there is debate about the existence of female flaneurs, because of how the city space is conceived by genders differently... but this is not a research paper and if the idea exists there is someone out there who has been able to conquer gender issues.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And when white moths were on the wing

Benimadhab Benimadhab

Dhobi ka Kutta!