Starry Starry Night



We walked to the city last evening. It's about 4 kms from home but I felt like it. We walked hand in hand through the dark crisp coolness at a leisurely pace.

The path to the city is quite dark apart from the occasional street lights and car headlights that zoom pass, we also have to cross a bridge that passes over the railway lines, that bit can get especially windy but last night was mild. You can see the grand structure of the main railway station at a distance as you walk over the bridge.

As we approached the city centre I was struck by the sheer brilliance of the light that emanated from there. Here we were walking in the stillness of cold november dusk, slightly introspective and a little glum but the approaching light in a flash changed the tone of the evening. I wasn't feeling cold anymore. It was warmth and happiness and energy that impressed upon me.

The closer we got more Christmas decorations came into our view. The shopping malls had been decorated brightly. The air and the ambiance were luminous and scintillating. The Christmas Striezelmarkts were in their usual places again with the carousels, the candles and Dresdner Christollens. The spice of Gluhwein (mulled wine) and sweet sweet smell of sugar dusted crepes filled the air.

I am so grateful to whoever came up with the idea of camera in a cell phone because I captured some of the brilliance. The lights and the stillness and the moon.

But what I couldn't catch were the stars. When we walked back from the bus stop to home I happened to look up. It was one of the clearest skies I'd ever seen. The sky was dotted with millions of stars, some of them clustered together and some lone stars. If I was good at identifying constellations I would've drawn a few pictures in the sky, but I am no good at it so only gazed awestruck till we reached home.

I shall post a couple of photos of last night as soon as I download them on my laptop. For now we can stay content with Vincent Van Gogh

Starry, starry night.
Paint your palette blue and grey,
Look out on a summer's day,
With eyes that know the darkness in my soul.
Shadows on the hills,
Sketch the trees and the daffodils,
Catch the breeze and the winter chills,
In colors on the snowy linen land.

Now I understand what you tried to say to me,
How you suffered for your sanity,
How you tried to set them free.
They would not listen, they did not know how.
Perhaps they'll listen now.

For they could not love you,
But still your love was true.
And when no hope was left in sight
On that starry, starry night,
You took your life, as lovers often do.
But I could have told you, Vincent,
This world was never meant for one
As beautiful as you.

---Don McLean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mPBUKcn4Gs&feature=related



Comments

Ria said…
u seriosly liked the girl in twilight?? i jus saw the movie last nite....the girl seemed so abnormal n stuborn!!
Deepanjana said…
That's coz her character in the movie is like that! She is great in other movies, like adventureland, the cake eaters and Into the wild!

Popular posts from this blog

And when white moths were on the wing

Benimadhab Benimadhab

Dhobi ka Kutta!